A highly motivated and skilled workforce is one of Vernon County’s greatest assets. Employees reflect the area’s small-town, rural values, where hard work and loyalty are the rule rather than the exception. Area employers demonstrate high productivity and low absenteeism rates, and almost all of Nevada’s workforce is nonunionized.
Vernon County is a certified ACT Work Ready Community and many local employers, including 3M, Crowder College, Platinum Aero Structures, utilize the program’s National Career Readiness Certificate in their hiring processes.
BUILD VC partners with local educational institutions to ensure a strong workforce. Employees can access a wide range of degree options including professional and business development, technical skills, certification programs, and training for almost any occupation.
- Nevada Regional Technical Center offers programs from business and graphic design to welding and construction.
- Crowder College is a regional community college with campuses across the southwest. The Nevada campus offers low tuition rates, A+ benefits, completion of all core subjects, and transferable classes, as well as flexibility in training opportunities.
- Cottey College is an independent, liberal arts and sciences women’s college in Nevada, Missouri. Since 1884, the College has offered young women the opportunity to learn and grow into leaders, role models, and confident individuals. Cottey offers both two-year and four-year degree programs and is nationally recognized as one of the very best institutes in a 12-state region.
- Midwest Welding Institute is one of Vernon county’s best resources. It offers the nation’s finest master and customized welding classes. Over the past 20 years, the MWI grew from only 34 students in 1994 to enrolling over 500 students in 2018. The 25,000 square foot training space includes a shop area, pipe fitting laboratory, classroom, library and offices. MWI students can also access discounted local housing rates during training.
- Fort Scott Community College is located just outside of Vernon County and offers 35 academic programs.